A maternity photoshoot is a memory that your kids will want to look back at someday. You probably will, too! If you have ever been pregnant, you know this is a precious time. But, you also know that there is a window of time when you felt your best during your pregnancy.
I know for me, that time was towards the end of 2nd trimester/beginning of 3rd trimester. I felt like superwoman because I was growing a baby and I could conquer all the things at work and at home. Even though I looked very pregnant, I still felt cute and had energy.
So, keeping that in mind, here are 5 tips to help you feel amazing for your maternity photoshoot:
- Find a good photographer. This should be someone that has photographed maternity before. Yes, we all started somewhere, but remember these are tips to help you feel the most amazing during this special time. You also want to find someone whose styling, locations, and editing you love. Pinterest boards are ok, but remember that most photographers are creative and do their own posing/styling. If there is a specific pose that you can’t live without, though, definitely share that with them so you aren’t disappointed after. Your photographer is usually booking months in advance, so remember that you will feel the best at the end of 2nd trimester/beginning of 3rd trimester and plan from there.
- If you are not comfortable with hair and makeup, ask your photographer for recommendations for an MUA (Make up artist). I have one that I work with frequently and recommend to others. She also comes to location. One of my recent maternity clients stated, “Do the hair and the makeup you’ve always hoped you could have, even if it feels a little extra”. It will look amazing on camera.
- Find a dress that you feel amazing in. If you feel amazing, your photographer will help you to look amazing. I highly recommend checking out amazon for different styles because of their return policy, however your photographer might also have a closet of maternity dresses to choose from, so definitely ask them when you book.
- Bring props! Things for creating layers or texture in your maternity photoshoot – ie – Hats, jacket, sweater, blanket are great. Also, think of anything little that you want to include in your shoot as a memory of this special time.
- Take some time to meditate, pray, or relax that day. Your body is growing a human! This is an amazing and incredible time and you are so beautiful right now. Think about how excited you are and the new life that you will soon get to meet.